Similar Link

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

This is how I handle downtime at airports


I recently stumbled upon an article on Expresses that talked about 4 good reasons to be sad sometimes. It was useful reading for a person like me who likes when things happen and who always has the next journey going on. According to the article, it can be positive to allow oneself to be really bored sometimes and to embrace that feeling instead of constantly chasing the next kick or seeking distraction in the cell phone. 

Being bored is said to be able to contribute to you becoming more creative because then you start daydreaming and fantasizing, among other things. The old cliche that time flies when you have fun is perhaps the opposite when it comes to being really boring. Being bored can thus help to free up time and at least lead to a perceived feeling of having more time. That time can be used to pay bills, read a book or do something else fun or important. 
I have to say that I was a little inspired to change my attitude to being bored but I am honestly not completely convinced. You have to have a little fun, especially when you, like me, travel often. I get bored quite often when I have to deal with downtime at airports around the world when that cheap flight means a difficult and long transit. In this post, I thought I would share what I do to make time go faster then! 

The activities of the senses Traveling these days can be tricky if you, like me, want to achieve the perfect balance between fare and flight time. When you travel as often as I do, you learn to tolerate difficult transits and long flight times in order to travel cheaper and longer. One of my favorite activities to kill time at an airport is therefore to indulge in something I call the activities of the senses, that is, things that require deep concentration. 

Over the years, I have realized that the time before boarding the next flight is much faster if I lose myself in an activity of a more strategic, intellectual kind. I usually play Word feud against friends, do various fun quizzes through the Quizzically app, or play the classic game of poker which is usually available through apps on mobile phones or tablets nowadays. Find an airport lounge Most major international airports usually have a lounge that is open to Business Class travelers and paying guests. Depending on the airport, you as a guest in a lounge can access everything from a hot shower, good food and drink, to fast wifi and massage chairs. 

When my transit is extra long, I usually pay for a lounge visit as I think that what you get in exchange in the form of relaxation, time to work in peace and quiet and enjoy a buffet with hot food is well worth the price which may seem daunting. for others. Do research on destinations A long transit is optimal for researching the destination you are going to. It is often in these moments that I find the best restaurants by reading Trip Advisor, finding cozy hotels through Instagram, or reading other travel bloggers' posts. Sometimes I have even booked excursions or tables at a restaurant while sitting in the street about to board my next destination. 

The research means that the time I spend waiting for my next flight does not feel wasted but rather as well-invested time to maximize my trip. Organize computer and mobile phone I admit! I have a lot of different folders on my computer and in these folders there is often a terrible mess and chaos. The same thing in my mobile where I have a thousand notes about places I want to visit, things I want to eat or books I want to read. Against this background, I usually see downtime at the airport as a perfect time to organize my digital devices. 

I can easily spend a couple of hours going through and tossing pictures, organizing folders on my computer, and deleting obsolete notes on my cell phone. Just in time for boarding, I often feel lighter and quite proud of myself - at least before I touch it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning

Artificial Intelligence, or AI, has already received a lot of buzz in the past decade. Still, it continues to be one of the new technology t...